Trouble going Wireless

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 18:08 14 Dec 07

Hi all,
I am trying to help a friend who is trying to take his Lappy wireless.

He has got a pretty new Lappy (I am assuming it has an internal wirless network card as there is no slot to fit one. He has a BT Voyager 220V ADSL Voice router, however this is where I am stuck.

There is a thick yellow wire that connects to the router, but unsure where the other end is supposed to go????

If anyone could help me sort this problem I would be truley greatful

Paul

FreeCell 18:15 14 Dec 07

Don't have a BT Voyager ADSL router but yellow cables are usually ethernet cables that connect between network port on lappy and router. Your friend should connect this and then set up the router for wireless access. When it and lappy are set up with same security settings then they can remove the cable and safely use wireless link.

Pineman100 18:22 14 Dec 07

Assuming your friend's new laptop has got an internal wireless networking card, you should find an ethernet port on it somewhere, that the yellow cable will plug into.

As FreeCell has said, this will then enable you to communicate with the router and enable its wireless function.

You should also find a wi-fi switch somewhere on the new laptop.

As a last resort, you may find it necessary to read the instructions. ;-)

The erthanet cable goes from router to lappy, connection no problem, but then when I unplu it from the Lappy no connection. He has got himself a Belkin Wireless G+ USB adaptor, that has a USB connecting end but dosnt seem to do anything. (On my lappy I plug the modem into the router (Netgear) and this then just links to the network card inserted into my lappy, but this seems a little more complicated than that....Please could you help me by going step by step...PS In help it suggests there is a button that can turn connection on or off but I can't find this (Even if I could I doubt this is the answer.....

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:08 14 Dec 07

He has got himself a Belkin Wireless G+ USB adaptor, that has a USB connecting end but dosnt seem to do anything.

to set up
click here

FreeCell 19:38 14 Dec 07

Has he got the USB adaptor because there is no in-built wireless? Which OS is being used?

Presume you have set up wireless settings on the router via the router control panel. This needs to be done to set up access.

Quiller. 19:56 14 Dec 07

The BT Voyager 220V ADSL Voice router is just a wired router, isn't it? You need a WiFi modem router. Thats why it can't find a signal.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…