Trouble getting on hotmail (everything else is ok)

LeedsLass 16:39 21 Apr 06

Hi there

I'm having trouble accessing my hotmail account.

I can get to the login page but once I've typed my password and login name it pauses for a while then comes up with the following message:

firefox can't find the server at by113fd.bay113.hotmail.msn.com

At first I thought it might be my firewall so messed around with that for a while but then had a go at accessing hotmail when the firewall was switched off / diabled and the same happened so it can't be the firewall.

My BB connection is ok as I can browse all other sites (hence me being able to post this) and I've been in my yahoo email account and other websites that I frequent.

This just started yesterday and is continuing toay.

The hotmail site is ok as I can access hotmail on my WAP/GPRS via my mobile (but it's not ideal to send a lengthy email from my phone).

So any ideas?

Wuggy 17:14 21 Apr 06

Have you tried accessing your account using Internet Explorer or Opera? It might be worth checking your Hosts file to see if there are any entries relating to Hotmail or MSN which may be redirecting your login request back to your own PC

LeedsLass 17:20 21 Apr 06

Yep I've tried with IE as well and still no joy :(

What is hosts file and what would I be looking for?

Thanx

LeedsLass 17:26 21 Apr 06

Oh and to add to the mystery, I can sign in on MSN Messenger and it tells me I have x amount of emails and shows me the inbox (so I can see the first 5 or 6 messages) but when I click on the message, I get the error message as mentioned above???? How frustrating is that??? Aaargh!!!

LeedsLass 19:33 21 Apr 06

Someone?? Please....

LeedsLass 19:33 21 Apr 06

Someone?? Please....

rsinbad 19:39 21 Apr 06

what version of messenger? and have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that cures your problem.

martjc 19:45 21 Apr 06

...Microsoft are performing maintenance on their servers at the moment. Maybe yours is under scrutiny now? Usually it takes about a day - but may be longer.

octal 20:33 21 Apr 06

Who is you ISP?

bruno 20:39 21 Apr 06

If you have XP try restoring back a few days.I get a recurring problem on Outlook Express what I can't find and restore always sorts it.

Wuggy 21:23 21 Apr 06

Sorry LeedsLass I had to do some gardening (under protest I might add).
Open up Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc folder and open up the file called hosts using notepad (Right click on the file, select 'Open with' (or 'Open if it's not available)click on Notepad ten click OK. The hosts file will open as a text file. As you're not aware of what the hosts file is I doubt if you will have inserted anything into it. The problem is that some rogue programs do make entries there which redirect your browser away from the page you have requested.
A typical hosts file should contain only the entry

127.0.0.1 localhost

There may be other entries there but all should be prefixed by a #. This turns the entry into a 'Remark' and is ignored by Windows. Should you find anything relating to Microsoft or Hotmail etc. either delete it or place a # at the beginning of the line.
Have a read at this article which explains the hosts file quite well.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…