Trouble Getting HD Working

gplatt2000 12:25 10 Aug 03

Hi al, I have recently posted a question about HD jumper settings, and, after trying every combination I can think of, still haven't got the HD working. On boot up a message comes up saying Primary Master (which the HD should be set as): None. Could this be to do with autodetect in BIOS not being set up? If so, how can I change this? Any other suggestions welcome, thanks a lot

JIM 12:35 10 Aug 03

Not knowing if you have set all jumper settings back to as they were. I would then If your sure about it go back to the bios and set the bios to default settings.(Make sure you have record of settings in bios to go back to if need be)

Before that i would see if your HD setting can be set to auto first.

gplatt2000 14:07 10 Aug 03

I think thats what I need the 'auto' setting, how do I do thath? I think I may have found it - in IDE HArd Drives Settings (or something similar), i found there is a table fo settings. There is Primary Master, Pri Slave etc etc, with settings next to them. The status next to Primary MAster was 'none', but i could change this to 'auto' - is tis the correct setting? (I didnt save any settingfs in case it was wrong). Thanks a lot for your help, Gavin

SEASHANTY 15:11 10 Aug 03

Not all manufacturers use the same jumper settings but have a look at the western digital site for the jumper diagrams <click here> When the page loads click on "Jumper settings" and follow the diagrams. You do not say what make of HDD you have fitted. Have a look at that manufacturers site altho most HDD jumper settings are given on the label fixed to the drive. When you have the settings right enter the bios when you first start your computer by pressing the "del" key or whatever your system uses and make sure that both the PRIMARY and SECONDARY IDE hard drives are both set on "AUTO". that should allow both your drives to be detected. Save the bios settings and leave the bios to carry on with computer booting.

gplatt2000 12:01 11 Aug 03

HI, thanks a lot for the adice, very helpful. There is definitely no labelone the HD for jumper settins (it is a very old HD by the way, not a new one I am fitting), and I THINK the manufacturer is Fujitsu. Thanks again, Gavin

gplatt2000 13:44 11 Aug 03

thanks a lot for your help everyone, now up and running fine. I found a site which gave all the different settings for Fujitsu HDs, - it is very strange, requireed two jumpers in an 'L' formation. Anyway, it works fine now, thanks once more for your help!

Gavin

SEASHANTY 20:14 11 Aug 03

You could have indicated the site Gavin for the benefit of others. It wasn't Escape From Hardware Hell was it? <click here> They boast jumper settings for 18655 devices. No I haven't counted them! Glad you managed to get your drive fixed up okay.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…