Trouble formatting slave drive

Shortstop 10:13 19 Apr 07

Hi everyone,

I am just removing my slave drive & handing this to a friend who has just had her main HDD fail.

I have removed all the programs on there and am trying to format this before giving it to her - but I cannot do this as the system is advising that a program is open and using the disk. I have cancelled all processes using Unlocker, but this warning keeps appearing.

I recall a few months back I was given a back-up utility that installed 2 folders on this drive that I have never been able to delete as a similar warning appears. The program has been removed and I cannot see any active processes for this, so this may be a red herring but the same warnings are making me suspicious.

I would like to format this drive before I give it away - any ideas?

TIA

Paul

johndrew 10:34 19 Apr 07

There are a number of things you could try, I would have suggested you try Unlocker but that seems not to work.

Presumably you are running the OS with full Administrators rights. In which case you could right click on the files and remove any protection and then try to delete them.

If you know which program the files belong to, you could use Task Manager to end it and then try. If that fails try Autoruns click here and stop the program running at startup or go to Start>Run and type `msconfig` and stop it from there.

You could also try starting in `Safe Mode` and see if that helps.

If these fail to work then it looks as if there is a Registry entry that needs modifying - this is beyond me.

Shortstop 10:40 19 Apr 07

Why is it always the simple things you forget! :o)

Went into safe mode & drive now formatting.

Thanks again & ticked!¬

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…