Trouble formatting

SPARKY 21:08 16 Sep 03

Can someone shed some light on the trouble I'm having formatting a hard drive. About 4% into formatting I get the line " Trying to recover allocation units " 89,769. This number increases a couple of times then I get failed to format.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Marcus

Rtus 21:20 16 Sep 03

Your post indicates you have bad sectors (damaged hard drive ) your best bet would be Find the make & model of the drive and visit its makers web site (Tech support) download the diagnostic program ,creat the floppy required (see download page for exact details how) and set bios to boot from floppy (if not allready) Boot and run the program, it will give various test options. you can even low level format/reset to factory settings & format verify & test .If the drives defections of Bad sectors are too bad it will advise to replace..

woodchip 21:23 16 Sep 03

Start with a Win98 Start Floppy and type Scandisk at the dos prompt

SPARKY 21:29 16 Sep 03

Thanks Woodchip & Rtus. I will try the diagnostic program, as scan/check disk all proved ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…