trouble downloading from dv camera to PC

marram 12:31 09 Aug 05

I have a new digital camcorder. I am having trouble downloading from the camera to the PC using the software which came with the camera. It skips frames and stops downloading after a few seconds. Where the video should be seen on the PC as it downloads in real time, it keeps pausing, goes blue and is slower than real time.

Is this a RAM problem? I have 256mb PC133 ram. 1,2gb processor and on board graphics.

scotty 12:43 09 Aug 05

First things to check:

1) Have you stopped all programs running in the background such as antivirus and firewall?

2) Is DMA (Direct Memory Access) enabled on the drive you are writing to?

marram 12:47 09 Aug 05

Thanks Scotty. I have stopped all other programs.
What is direct memory access?

scotty 12:56 09 Aug 05

Goto Device Manager (Control Panel\System\Hardware\Device Manager) and click on + beside IDE ATA controller. Select Primary IDE channel and select the advanced settings tab. Select Transfer mode option "DMA if available".

marram 13:04 09 Aug 05

Done that. It was set "DMA if available"

stlucia 13:07 09 Aug 05

Your RAM is the same as mine, and main processor is higher spec than mine. I don't have any problem downloading DV in real time provided everything else is switched off (like Scotty says). I use Pinnacle software.

Come to think of it, I'm using Win 98SE for video work, so it could be that Win XP (if that's what you're using) needs more RAM for itself.

scotty 13:41 09 Aug 05

Further to stlucia's comment, your situation will be exacerbated by the on board graphics which is sharing memory. Perhaps 64MB of the 256 will be assigned to graphics.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…