Trouble Defragging

Dazwm 19:57 23 Jun 03

I have had trouble with my disk defragmenter lately so I downloaded diskeeper lite as recommended by someone on this site.
It seems to work but it has been running for a day now but not got past 10%! Any ideas?

SantasLittleHelper 20:03 23 Jun 03

Hi, try starting your computer in safe mode, (press F8 as windows starts to access the boot up menu) this stops all your start up programs loading, run defrag from there. If your disk is heavily fragmented it will take some time to defrag. Good luck.

Dazwm 20:21 23 Jun 03

I have tried it in safe mode but it comes up with a message - Unable to connect to Diskeeper service in the selected machine, connecting to the local diskeeper sevice. But nothing happens.

powerless 20:23 23 Jun 03

Run Windows Defrag in safe mode.

Epirb406 20:31 23 Jun 03

But why can't microsoft tell us that their defrag utility, bundled ever since ever won't run except in safe mode!!?????

Epirb.

Dazwm 20:32 23 Jun 03

I haven't got windows defrag anymore it was corrupted and I was advised to delete it. What now!!??

Brian-336451 20:36 23 Jun 03

Personally I'd either do SFC in safe mode to get DEFRAG sorted but I'm more likely to re-install windows over the top of the present installation.

You don't lose anything but get back any functionality you've lost.

Dazwm 20:38 23 Jun 03

Not THAT Brian May
thanks I have tried that to no avail, I am now pulling my hair out!!

Valvegrid 20:43 23 Jun 03

If your running 98 you can get a copy of ME defrag from here, it's much faster:

click here

Dazwm 20:45 23 Jun 03

I am running XP Pro

Valvegrid 20:46 23 Jun 03

Sorry, that was the download site, this is the main site, it's got lots of info on it.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…