trouble connecting to network

pollpott 20:55 30 Nov 09

I have a netgear wireless router which works fine for several machines both wired and wireless. I bought a belkin wireless g card and installed it on a desktop which had previously been connected by cable.It has been recognised by the machine, software installed etc but when I put the password in to make the connection I get a message saying "waiting for network" which then goes off and nothing else happens except it goes back to the "choose awireless network " page.

mgmcc 21:38 30 Nov 09

Are you using an encryption method that is supported by the Belkin adapter, such as WEP or WPA-PSK?

Has it actually found the SSID of your network and prompted for the password?

pollpott 10:29 01 Dec 09

Yes,I am using WPA and I have typed in the password. At this point the screen shows that the computer is trying to comunicate with the router ie the green bar moves across waiting for a response. eventually this goes off and nothing else happens. while it is trying to connect to the network the message is "please wait while windows connects to the netgear network, waiting for the network" Ihave tried using the repair option and the message is "windows is disabling the network adapter" this is then replaced with the message "cannot repair because following action could not be completed, "disabling the wireless network adapter"

mgmcc 10:48 01 Dec 09

Can you connect if you disable WPA in the router's wireless settings?

pollpott 11:52 01 Dec 09

I cant find the router in device manager the nearest thing seems to be network adapters but all thats in there are, 1394netadapter, realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet NIC and belkin wireless G desktop card which is the one i installed which is giving me the problem. should I look somewhere else?
I will have to leave my computer for a few hours now, thanks taking the trouble to respond.

mgmcc 12:20 01 Dec 09

A router isn't *installed* in a computer, so you won't find anything relating to it in the PC. It is a network device to which computers connect, either by ethernet cable or "wirelessly" using TCP/IP protocol.

To access the router's settings, type its IP address into your web browser (192.168.0.1 for a Netgear DG834) and, when prompted, its Username and Password. I think these are both "admin" by default.

pollpott 16:15 01 Dec 09

It does connect if I disable the WPA although the wireless network connection icon at the bottom of the screen says not connected. It does connect to the internet though, so thats the main thing. So how do i connect when the security is on? Any ideas?

mgmcc 19:50 01 Dec 09

My Netgear router is a Cable/DSL one for Virgin's Cable service, so the options may be different but try using a 128-bit WEP key and see if that lets you connect. The key should consist of 26 Hexadecimal characters (Hex characters are the numbers "0" to "9" and letters "a" to "f" only, a total of 16 available characters).

pollpott 20:00 01 Dec 09

sorry, havnt got a clue how to do this.

mgmcc 22:56 01 Dec 09

In the same section of the router where you disabled WPA, there should be the option to select the type of encryption to use.

Try setting it to use 128-bit WEP and then make up a key 26 characters long using hexadecimal characters. Make a note of the key, because you need to enter the same key when you try to connect to the router from your computer.

pollpott 11:01 02 Dec 09

The only options in the security options box are None or WPA-PSK(TKIP)+WPA2-PSK(AES). Any other suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac