Trouble connecting to internet

Rogerfredo 19:59 09 May 04

My XP Home pc does not always connect to the internet when I first try after switching on. (I have ntl broadband).
Similarly, if I try to start Mailwasher when recently booted, this reports no internet connection.
This is more of a minor hindrance since a second or third try results in success, but I would like to know what the problem is.

Dan the Confused 20:03 09 May 04

I have dial-up but sometimes it takes me 2 or 3 attempts to connect. I think it's just the ISP.

Wuggy 21:20 09 May 04

How do you connect. Is it a USB modem or a PCI version. I've heard it said that USB modems sometimes take a bit of time to warm up and reset when starting up after PC has been turned off. One cure is to connect modem through a self powered USB hub so that modem is 'on' all the time.

TommyRed 21:40 09 May 04

I'm on PlusNet BB and when I turn my PC on in the morning it takes 20/30 seconds for a connection to be made succesfully. I normally play patience whilst I'm waiting for the connection to be made. I have to wait while the middle green light stops flashing and becomes constant. I always thought this was the norm. OS is XP Home. TR

Rogerfredo 18:38 10 May 04

Thanks for your replies.
My modem is connected using ethernet.
This may be due to my switching the modem off with the pc, but it never proved troublesome when I had windows ME.

wiltoys 19:10 10 May 04

For the last three weeks I have had difficulty connecting to the modem, slow response when conected & most frustrating, a tendency for the connection to break after 3-5 minutes. Previously I have had excellent fairly rapid 50.6 k/s response. I have used different junction boxes, different computers, different ISPs all with same result. I have used one of my laptops on a friends line and it worked at full speed downloadind a 17Mb file. BT have tested the ljne many times and sent an engineer to check connections to first external point. They can find nothing and have given up. I will now have to re-connect to send this

Hedders83 19:50 10 May 04

I have NTL broadband also, try leaving your modem on all the time and never switching it off, I asked NTL and they suggest this is the best method using Ethernet, it doesn't harm the modem as apparently its designed to be always on. hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…