trouble with connecting 2nd laptop to wireless net

mediaman1957 07:13 29 Jun 06

I use a Acer 9504 and it works fine but my Daughter has a Dell Inspiron 9300 and it keeps loosing it IP No when it's turned off I have to run Repair on it every time she turns it on It allways tells me it has a good signal but looses it IP No MAC address is fine
any ideas please!
I'm not that good on networking so please go easy on me?

mgmcc 09:23 29 Jun 06

You could try giving your daughter's PC a fixed IP address.

In her computer, while the connection is working, go to "Start > Run" type CMD and click OK, which will open a Command Prompt window. Type IPCONFIG /ALL and press Enter. This will list all of the network adapters in the PC together with their details.

Make a note of the IP address and Default Gateway for the adapter that connects to the wireless router. Close the Command Prompt window.

In the Network Connections folder, right click the adapter that connects to the router - presumably the "Wireless Network Connection" - and select Properties. Highlight the entry for "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and click the Properties button. In the next box that opens, click Use the following IP address and enter:

IP address - 192.168.x.25

Subnet Mask -

Default Gateway - 192.168.x.1 (the address you noted earlier, which will be the routers' IP address)

DNS Server address - 192.168.x.1 (same as Default gateway)

The third "octet" of the IP address, which I've shown as 'x' must be the same as that in the addresses you noted when running IPCONFIG /ALL and this varies with different makes of router. For the computer's IP address, I've suggested a fourth "octet" in the IP address of 25 to avoid any conflict with either your address or the router's which are already in use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…