Trouble with computer

charlton200 08:09 26 May 09

For about 2 days my computer has been playing up.
When I press a button like IE it stays in and the computer hangs or the hour glass stays on. I have done a system restore and still the same. I have downloaded no knew programs. It works sometimes, like now but not for long.
Any ideas please.

Many thanks

rawprawn 08:14 26 May 09

Run a system file scan. If you don't know how, tell us your OS and we will explain.
From what you say (Hour glas) I suspect XP, if so go to Start> Run and type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. You will need your XP Disc.

john bunyan 08:20 26 May 09

Can you get on line? Have a look at this thread:
click here

Also, have you run Superantispyware, Malawarebytes and an anti virus programme? If not suggest you download them if you don't already have them. Also if you go to Start, Run, and type in eventvwr.msc , then look as application, it may give a clue what is happening.

Technotiger 08:37 26 May 09

Sounds to me as if you spilt the coffee on the keyboard, causing the keys to stick! I suggest the answer might simply be a good clean-up.

charlton200 08:43 26 May 09

I have firewall and anti virus and scan regularly and run anti spy ware etc daily. No coffee spilt. Its not the keyboard keys sticking it's the icons in that they stay down.
My computer is xp with sp3 amd athlon 64 3200, 2GB ram and I don't know how to do a system file scan.

Thanks.

rawprawn 08:49 26 May 09

As I have already told you
go to Start> Run and type sfc /scannow and hit Enter. You will need your XP Disc.

birdface 09:37 26 May 09

Try this.

Try command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns a small gap between ipconfig and forward slash or it will not work.Ok. it should tell you DNS has been flushed if so reboot and see if it works any better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…