Trouble clearing pagefile.sys

Shortstop 08:49 19 Jul 07

Hi,

Win XP home.

Just moved from Firefox to Opera and my pagefile.sys now seems 'locked' with 1.07GB within the file. This seems too large so I have tried the registry fix per Microsoft, but this is not clearing the file upon exiting Windows.

Is there any software that will do this or should I completely remove the value from the registry & try again?

I already use CCleaner & Tune-Up Utilities 2006, but these don't empty the file either.

TIA

Paul

Sheik Yerbouti 10:08 19 Jul 07

Not sure what registry fix you are talking about, but this should work....

Control Panel-Administrative tools-Local security policy.

In the window that opens, on the left menu...select 'local policies' then 'security options'

on the right is a long list of items...near the bottom is Shutdown:clear virtual memory pagefile.

double click it and enable it. restart the PC. The next time you shut down, pagefile will be cleared.(NB. This might take 30 or 40 seconds, therefor slowing down system shutdown)

Shortstop 11:16 19 Jul 07

Microsoft recommend click here but this doesn't work.

I should have mentioned that my system emulates Vista so I cannot see 'Administrative Tools' under control Panel - I only have 'Appearance & Themes', 'Printers and other hardware', 'Network & Internet Connections', 'User Accounts', 'Add or Remove Programs', 'Date, time, etc', 'Speech, Sounds, etc', 'Accessability' 'Performance' & 'Security'. I cannot see anything you mention under Network & Internet or Security?

Thanks for your guidance anyhow.

Paul

Shortstop 16:02 19 Jul 07

^Bump^

Sheik Yerbouti 16:42 19 Jul 07

In control panel can't you switch to classic view? (top left corner) then you will see admin. tools.

Shortstop 16:55 19 Jul 07

No, the option to switch to classic view is not there!

Paul

Sheik Yerbouti 16:58 19 Jul 07

Try typing secpol.msc into run box (Start - Run)

brundle 17:19 19 Jul 07

XP Home doesn't have Group Policy editor...

Is there a specific reason you need the page file cleared?

brundle 17:25 19 Jul 07

When you say `clearing` the page file, do you mean deleting and re-sizing it? Have you actually checked that the data from the last session is gone? Or do you want the page file deleted at each log-off?

Follow these instructions to access the paging file parameters; click here

Set the min/max paging file to 0, reboot, once restarted go back to the same settings page and change it to `System managed size`, reboot. It will create a new page file.

Shortstop 18:28 19 Jul 07

Sorry if I didn't explain myself properly - but you have provided the perfect answer! My concern was the size of my pagefile at over 1Gb it seemed way too large on my 80Gb drive and was not this big before I changed Internet Explorers.

Following your instructions, this has now been cleared.

Also, thanks to Sheik Yerbouti.

Ticked as resolved.

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…