Trouble booting up

Glen 20:03 21 Sep 04

I am running Windows 98SE and have no Windows installation disc. During routine typing a partial crash occurred, and various of my settings including my wallpaper were changed to those I used months ago. My firewall and calendar no longer automatically came on, but almost everthing else in the "load start-up group" loaded on booting up. I corrected all these changes. A number of applications no longer work. The next time I booted up I got a black screen with the following message - "Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a Windows Application. The windows register or System.INI refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.
etc etc.
?\windows\system\wpsdrv9x.uxd (First symbol off screen & not seen)
etc etc
Press any key to continue (Message repeated numerous times, and Press any key appears twice.
?\windows\system\Teefer.uxd (First symbol unknown).

After pressing any key twice, the system boots up in about 5 minutes, and seems normal. So far most of my apps seem to be working normally, including MS Works.

How can I correct this

Glen.

LastChip 21:29 21 Sep 04

Try this.
Re-boot into a DOS window. Do this by selecting Shut Down and from the drop down menu, select Restart in MS-DOS Mode.

When you get to the command prompt, it should look like this;

C:\WINDOWS>

At that prompt type the command;

scanreg /restore

that is scanreg, a space and then /restore. The complete line will look like this;

C:\WINDOWS>scanreg /restore

and select the Enter key.

This will start the registry restore utility, which in turn will give you the last five good registry backups. They appear in USA style date mm/dd/yy. Pick a date PRIOR to your crash and select the restore button. This is done by using the arrow and enter keys.

This will set the machine back to a time prior to your problem and if it's a registry entry that's causing your grief, with luck, it will resolve the issue.

Fingers crossed!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…