trouble with anti virus systems !!

marisom 19:25 12 Sep 06

My daughter in her wisdom has managed to install at least 2 anti virus systems and lap top is not even a month old., and they now seem to be fighting one another and will not let us do anything the computer just seems to hang around doing nothing.
HELP!! what can I do?

mammak 19:29 12 Sep 06

Uninstall one of the AVs as they will cause conflict as you have found.

DieSse 19:29 12 Sep 06

Uninstall one of the AV programs?

Try explaining what you mean by "the computer just seems to hang around doing nothing." That's a tad too vague to be helpful.

Jackcoms 19:32 12 Sep 06

Un-install one, it's as simple as that.

NEVER install 2 AV programs on one machine.

You're quite right they will 'fight' each other.

Tell us which ones she has and we'll suggest which we think is the better of the two to keep.

skidzy 19:34 12 Sep 06

Start/Control panel/Add and Remove programs/ and remove one of the AV's as advice given above.

If you could give us the names of the AV's we can advise of which one to remove.

marisom 19:38 12 Sep 06

laptop will not let me uninstall antivirus, have tried that am trying to uninstall WinAntiVirus Pro 2006, using both uninstall and remove programme but the screen seems to have slowed right down and nortons keeps coming up with
'Winfixer' being 'detected' but that is is

Belatucadrus 19:39 12 Sep 06

Restart in safe mode, usually press F8 during boot. Then try to remove one of the AV programs. Using two normal anti virus programs is a high risk approach, some people get lucky and have a combination that works OK. Others as you've found end up with a PC in self destruct mode where the two programs fight it out.
I'm aware of only one Anti Virus product that is specifically designed to work safely in tandem with a traditional product and that's Cyberhawk click here it's free so may be of interest once you've untangled the current situation.

marisom 19:41 12 Sep 06

I also think it may have f secure on it for internet, as this cam in disc form with laptop and nortons was already installed

VoG II 19:42 12 Sep 06

Get rid of WinAntiVirus click here

marisom 19:46 12 Sep 06

VoG your link doesn't seem to work, I am working on my desktop with her laptop sat next to me, just in case you thought I was on that.
The other day it took nearly 2 hours just to shut it down

marisom 19:47 12 Sep 06

Also has Drive Cleaner that is on it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…