Trouble after CleanUp!

andrew423 17:01 15 Apr 06

Somebody sent me a link to the CleanUp! program to delete internet files. I used it last night and then I got a message telling me that some XP files have been deleted and that I needed to insert a CD. I thought I didn't have the CD so I just canceled out of it and turned my laptop off. I logged on this morning and my computer is messed up: I can't use my desktop toolbar, I am unable to open Outlook Express, the icons on my desktop are messed up, and the toolbars for some other programs are also messed up (they are all squished together).

I tried doing a system restore, but it says it cannot be completed.

However, I did find that CD the computer was asking me to find. What should I do?

Diodorus Siculus 17:12 15 Apr 06

What sort of CD do you have?

Take a look here: click here
scannow sfc - how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker)

andrew423 17:33 15 Apr 06

Well, there are two. One is a: Operating System CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

The other is: Application and Driver Recovery DVD

The first CD asks for a verification code, but the CD only came in a paper case from the box where I got my laptop.

The second CD won't open at all.

If I install that program, will it fix the problems or prevent future ones?

Diodorus Siculus 17:58 15 Apr 06

The first one is the one you want.

Start windows

Put the CD in the drive

cancel if it begins to run

the go to

start

run

and type

sfc /scannow

There is a space between sfc & /scannow

andrew423 18:28 15 Apr 06

I can't get to Run

andrew423 18:30 15 Apr 06

I meant to say I can't get to Run from the start menu.

The only thing it shows when I open the start menu is All Programs, Log Off, and Turn off Computer

pipedream 18:31 15 Apr 06

If you need to enter the code, it should be on a sticker on the underside of your laptop.

Not much help now, but remember next time, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"! (sorry)

Diodorus Siculus 18:36 15 Apr 06

On the right hand column, there should be

run...

click here

Like this

Sharpamatt 18:41 15 Apr 06

If this is a Medion be careful, use the second CD you listed The Application and recovery CD if you use the XP one ( Which the code should be on your system is correct)This could well format and remove all your recovery data.

As I said if its a Medion read your Manual, Boot with the Application CD in the Drive. and follow the On screen instructions. This will restore to the original settings the system came with, All other information will be lost

Diodorus Siculus 19:04 15 Apr 06

A query

[quote]Operating System CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2[/quote]

Is this just the SP2 disk or the full CD?

rdave13 21:15 15 Apr 06

Would be interesting to know how the problem was solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…