Trojan/worm making icons on desktop on startup

MichelleC 20:05 06 Jul 03

On offsring's pc he's somehow got a nasty which creates many file icons 'Ctxx' (with all digits different) all over the desktop on startup. I've done Housecall scan and deleted 1 file, I've run SpyBot and Adaware and deleted several, but it still keeps coming back. Does anyone know where to look so i can delete in safemode if necessary.

BTW he's got NAV 2000 which didn't work and when I tried to reinstall from HP System Recovery/Drivers and Utilities discs didn't want to know.

Lú-tzé 20:20 06 Jul 03

Do you have any idea of the name of the virus? What did housecall say about it? If you know it, there is likely to be a removal tool on the Symantec (Norton) site.

Ironman556 20:33 06 Jul 03

Have you looked to see if somthing runs on startup?

Go to run and type "msconfig", select the startup tab and see if you can locate anything unusual.

MichelleC 08:44 07 Jul 03

I foolishly deleted the file after Housecall scan without making a note. I've run 2 more scans - nil, plus spyware scans. I've unchecked all but vitals on msconfig and now it's gone. I'll find out which one tonight.

His NAV wasn't working and he hasn't got a firewall. Why don't offspring listen to their parents?

Thanks for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…