Trojan/Virus ????

Noels 11:46 02 Jun 03

The following Trojan / Virus (Downloader. Small.)

C:\DLOAD.EXE

C:\PQSC\CPS\0007B2\FILES\002\1792CC.DAT

Have been identified by AVG but can't be removed, quarantined deleted or otherwise made harmless.

Question what is this? is it a virus/trojan or just a simple download file.

If a virus etc how do I get rid of it please???

All ideas welcome

Regards Noels

leo49 11:51 02 Jun 03

C:\PQSC\CPS\0007B2\FILES\002\1792CC.DAT

This is apparently a component of Powerquest Second Chance. Do you use this software? Could be a virus lurking within these backups.

Regards

Andsome 12:15 02 Jun 03

Try a symantec online scan click here

Noels 12:19 02 Jun 03

leo49

Yes I use Power Quest Second Chance but very rarely need to use their backups and not recently.

Several things have recently happened to make me suspicious but its a very long story. I have always used NAV and NPF without problems but recently had reason to uninstall and try to reinstall the 2003 version. Both programms stuck at various stages. I then tried to install the 2001 version. I succeeded with the NPF but not the NAV which kept telling me to restart my computer. Which I did but to no avail.I then downloaded VAG which promptly identified the above virus/trojan

Also when I go to Windows update it tells me that I have to have a windows system installed to make use of UPDATE

Its as though a virus/trojan is now preventing me clean my system W98SE. Broadband Bluyonder

Again any ideas welcome Noels

vaughan007 12:29 02 Jun 03

Back up all your important data on to CD (or something else) right now! Then...just to be sure...scan your backed up documents for a virus, using another PC if you can.

Then you can go about cleaning your system. Which, I am afraid I cannot help you with much.

Noels 12:30 02 Jun 03

Thanks for that. I have just tried but the scan seems to be blocked rather like my other security features
Noels

leo49 12:51 02 Jun 03

If your able to download, I would initially go here:

click here

and get The Cleaner - it's a full 30day trial and will find and deal with any Trojan. Hopefully we can see where to go from there.

Regards

Gaz 25 12:57 02 Jun 03

Go to symantec, search for the virus, then use the removal instructions.

Also, remove any running prosesses like CLOAD.EXE or SNOOPERX.EXE but not Explorer.exe.

This may allow you to install NAV, if no avil, restart your PC and use the DOS virus remover to get rid of it that way, using thr NAV disc, Norton have instructions on this.

Noels 14:25 02 Jun 03

leo49

Have Uninstalled Second Chance and re run Virus scan which now shows system as clean, so thanks for your info.

Gaz 25

Have made a note of your comments and will follow your instructions if necessary

To all others thanks for your advice

Noels

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…