TrojanDownloader

Ankermi31 10:34 11 Dec 06

WinXP. ETrust Anti Virus Spybot Adaware
Windows Defender (not working thats a problem too!)

On running AdAware this morning it picked up a problem Win32.TrojanDownloader. Have deleted but suspect it could reoccur?

Could this be inter linked with the probs I have with updating Windows Defender? This I cannot update and it does not run on its set time so at the mo it is being left well alone as everything suggested does not work.

anti virus scan this morning no problems.

The Kestrel 13:05 11 Dec 06

Your windows defender file may be corrupted. Try uninstalling and then reinstalling the program.

I would also recemmend you scan with AVG antispyware (formerly Ewido), which is a free download. This is a good program for detecting and removing malware like your TrojanDownloader.

Stuartli 14:08 11 Dec 06

I got the same Trojan today - AdAware found and removed it.

I don't have Windows Defender.

skidzy 16:47 11 Dec 06

Have you reinstalled Defender at any point ?

If so follow these steps:

1. Remove the current signature file. To do this, click Start, click Run, type, (its best to copy and paste the data below)

Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}

and then click OK.

2. Open Windows Defender. To do this, click Start, click Programs, and then click Windows Defender.

3. Check for new definitions. To do this, click the Help options arrow next to the Windows Defender Help icon, click About Windows Defender, and then click Check for Updates.

Any more problems with the trojan,post back.

Ankermi31 17:19 11 Dec 06

Hi everyone thanks for trying to be helpful.

The Kestrel: WDefender will not let me uninstall!

Stuartli: Do not be surprised if it returns. Each time I log on and then as a precaution run Ad Aware there the little blighter is. It keeps returning.

Skidzy. Tried your suggestion with Msiexec /x {A5CC2A09-E9D3-49EC-923D-03874BBD4C2C}

Message coming up "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed - could be you are operating in Safe Mode or W.Installer is not installed correctly.

Well I am not in safe mode (to be honest would not know how to other than its something to do with F8?) W.Installer is showing in Add/Remove under W.Defender. But assume its all ok as PDF/Adobe etc are running ok.

skidzy 17:38 11 Dec 06
  Ankermi31 17:53 11 Dec 06

My security is preventing me from opening your "click here" skidzy (Spyware Doctor)

skidzy 17:55 11 Dec 06

http: //support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

skidzy 17:58 11 Dec 06

There is now a space between http: and // you need to close this space when typed into your browser.

skidzy 18:02 11 Dec 06

Just to add,if you are having problems with clicking links try using another browser,such as Firefox click here

Repair hyperlinks

Click on Start, then Run, then run the following commands. After you run each command, a small window should appear stating that the command was successful.

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll (if that doesn't work, try shdoc401.dll)
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

Stuartli 18:04 11 Dec 06

Did you Quarantine the Trojan in AdAware?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5