Trojan Virus & File deletion denied

buster99 19:19 25 Nov 04

I've recently moved over to Windows XP, prior to any internet activity I installed Zone Alarm, AVG, Windows Washer, CW Shredder, Clean Temp - all programs I've previously trusted.
To my dismay a Trojan Horse Dropper.Delf.3.L virus gained access to the system. AVG picked this up straight away and moved the virus to vault. The program keeps re-inventing itself - I believe it's something to do with System Restore, I've tried switching this off and rebooting in safe mode - unfortunately i'm then unable to run AVG which I believe will solve the problem - any ideas ? Secondly a search engine hijack called SALM has installed itself and constantly tries to access the internet,zone alarm identifies this and i'm able to deny access - it doesn't show as a virus - when I access the file it will not let me delete it and states access is denied. I've entered the folders tab and ensured hidden folders etc are unchecked but with no success - any help gratefully accepted.

rawprawn 19:27 25 Nov 04

click here download and run this program in safe mode after turning system restore off. Don't forget to turn it on again after you solve your problem.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:32 25 Nov 04

For SALM here

For the dropper..... download Ccleaner from click here and use it to empty all your temp files. (firstly turn off system restore and reboot with Sys restore turned off. Then run AVG after you have updated it.

buster99 19:41 25 Nov 04

txs rawprawn for the advice, i've downloaded the program which has identified the virus but you have to pay for the program to eliminate them - bit short of cash unfortunately - any other ideas ?

buster99 20:09 25 Nov 04

txs Gandalf, currently running the programs you named - CCleaner seems a good little program

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…