Trojan Virus on a CD

Drusen 18:02 11 Feb 09

A friend of mine gave me a CD with some free software that he'd downloaded. I scanned it with AVG Free and A-Squared Free. AVG passed it as fit, but A-Squared detected a trojan.

Would I be right in thinking that by only scanning the CD the virus will not have escaped and infected my PC?

Incidentally, I have destroyed the CD.

Thanks.

MAT ALAN 18:35 11 Feb 09

Can't jump from one to the other, then again if it miraculously did you already had the method of removal...

It is also a fair assumption that your friends PC IS infected...

DippyGirl 18:53 11 Feb 09

I have had a few false +ves with A-squared. I would use SuperAnitiSpyware and MalwareBytes AntiMalware as my primary programs

gazzaho 00:56 12 Feb 09

As DippyGirl says it's possible it was a false positive, and as AVG passed it the chances are it was. As far as I'm aware the only way to infect your computer is to run the file the malware is located in, also be aware of popups on the internet advising virus infections and removal, these popups are a way of delivering trojans, once you click OK the popup runs a program to install malware on your system.

It would be wise to let you friend know and get him to scan his system to be on the safe side however.

Drusen 22:42 12 Feb 09

I scanned another CD from my friend in my PC today. It started up (apparently because of an autorun). This time, AVG's Resident Shield picked up a trojan, but when I scanned the CD with A-Squared Free nothing was detected. Strange.

I scanned the hard drive because of the autorun on the CD, using AVG and A-Squared Free, but nothing was detected. I assume, therefore, that the autorun did not release the trojan onto the hard drive - I hope not, anyway!

The Brigadier 08:59 16 Feb 09

I always scan any CD/DVD before using anything on them.
Even if it's from a cover disc of a magazine.

Once got caught out with a virus a few years ago!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017