Trojan virus

Janet-201707 19:29 25 Aug 04

Hello all

I have been informed today by a computer engineer that we have a trojan on our PC, but not how to remove it, so I came to the help forum for advice, scrolled down to see what was about and came across a message to do with Trojan security, downloaded the required proggy, which found 19 problem files, which it said it had deleted, shut down PC. When next I reboot, did I have problems!!!!!! Up comes a blue screen, telling me I had a problem (on too little time to read it) bang. PC closes down, then reboots, round and round until I was just about ready to scream. I went to work and spoke to another PC person who told me to press F8 and start in Safe Mode, which I did and was then able to uninstall this Proggy, end of Problem. So...... was this notification on todays forum about Trojans and this programme a bit suspicious..... Or what? I still have the trojan and don't know how to get rid of it.
What is happening is, when I boot up, Internet Explorer keeps starting un-invited ( I can't abide I/E and don't use it as default)giving me all these rubbish websites, like unsolicited mail, and this is what I was told is a Trojan. ???True or False???? What's the [oint then in having a firewall running and norton Anti-virus if this crap still gets through, I ask?? Can anyone advise please???? Thanks

Janet

Cook2 19:33 25 Aug 04

click here and
click here If Avast finds nothing then try Stinger.

Cook2 19:33 25 Aug 04

click here and
click here If Avast finds nothing then try Stinger.

VoG II 19:34 25 Aug 04

Well you omitted to mention which program you used.

Try click here and click here

Janet-201707 19:41 25 Aug 04

The Proggy was EWIDO-FREE and I was online about 2pm this afternoon.

Janet

Janet-201707 20:03 25 Aug 04

Thanks to those who responded. Tried the proggies suggested, but no viruses or Trojans found. So, I am mystified as to what is going on with Internet Explorer, I know I would prefer a browser to load at my request, not for it do so of it's own accord, so is this what Trojan's do?? What I know about them you could put on the head of a pin?????

Janet

VoG II 20:12 25 Aug 04

Start, Run, type

msconfig

and click OK.

On the Startup tab, look for Internet Explorer and if it is there, untick it, click OK and restart your computer.

Also try scanning with Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here - it may be spyware, not a trojan.

bertiecharlie 20:30 25 Aug 04

There was a posting earlier today recommending Ewido as a free anti trojan programme. (Sorry, can't remember who posted it). I've been running Ewido for the last six weeks or so with Norton Anti Virus 2003, a2, and a number of other anti trojan and anti spyware programmes without any problems.

It is certainly a legitimate programme which has been mentioned and recommended on other forums. It was even commented on by the writer of a2 the other week. (He wasn't very complimentary - bemoaning the lack of signatures - but Ewido have been issuing updates twice daily since they brought out the Plus Version a couple of weeks back.)

canard 00:19 26 Aug 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now