trojan removed now cant log on

bionicle 18:05 19 Dec 09

Looking for advice on how to proceed. My brother phoned re security warnings coming up on PC Windows XP. From his description it sounded like spyware so I talked him through installing and running a squared. This identified around 100 problems. He deleted what he could but some could not be deleted including Windows security 2010.exe. Then closed a squared and tried rebooting. System does this but when it gets to the point of clicking on user it goes straight to 'saving settings' and logging off.

If I use F8 at boot up to use safe mode will I be able to get in to do a system restore?

Secondly he does not have recovery disks so can I use mine to do a clean install?

Sea Urchin 18:13 19 Dec 09

Download Malwarebytes (free version) onto your pc and transfer downloaded file to a flash drive. Then on his pc boot into safe mode (tap F8 on booting) and install from the flash drive. Run it and delete all it finds. Then run again to check that it comes up clear.

Sea Urchin 18:13 19 Dec 09

Download Malwarebytes (free version) onto your pc and transfer downloaded file to a flash drive. Then on his pc boot into safe mode (tap F8 on booting) and install from the flash drive. Run it and delete all it finds. Then run again to check that it comes up clear.

User-1229748 18:13 19 Dec 09

yes you can use f8 to do system restore or last known good configuration.yes you can use your xp disks if it is the exact same version of xp and he will need his key.

Sea Urchin 18:14 19 Dec 09

Sorry - finger trouble - here is the link

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 19 Dec 09

Secondly he does not have recovery disks so can I use mine to do a clean install?

only if he has exactly the same machine as yours.

goes straight to 'saving settings' and logging off.

this sounds like a corrupt profile
log on in safe mode by tapping F8 as windows boots if safe mode log on screen he may have a Administrator log on he can use.

mfletch 18:19 19 Dec 09

Use F8 but use the last known good Configuration

Option

bionicle 18:30 19 Dec 09

Thanks everyone for prompt responses. Couple of questions.

Sea Urchin, if I run Malwarebytes and delete what it finds wont this just do the same as a squared has already done?

smackheadz and Fruit Bat /\0/\, We have different makes of PC but are both running XP home edition, so as long as I put in the PC key (which is on a sticker on back of PC?)it should be okay?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ can you tell me what an Administrator log on is and how to use it?

Thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:37 19 Dec 09

Recovery disks don't install XP they often restore an image of the operating system and drivers together at the time, drivers for your machine will not work in his and they are likely to conflict, XP is unlikely to boot as a result.

When at the welcome screen there should be an option
Administrator Account just click on it to run.
You will then be able to access all files on the machine and save all the data in the corrupted accounts My documents folder to another folder.

you can then create a new account and delete the old corrupted account.

Audio~~Chip 18:40 19 Dec 09

It gives you access to logon to you main windows control set. This is a common part of the joys of being infected as it shuts down your admin rights to prevent access for repair.

A good tool to fix this is called Smitfraudfix or Taskmanagerfix.exe

SF Fix is from click here

TaskManager Fix click here

Both bail me out everytime after using Superantispyware freebie trial as a one of use.

I recomend CCleaner after removal (Not downloading the extras offered!) Comes from Zippo servers. then fully check you windows updates, Java, Adobe, Internet Security to be fully update.

bionicle 18:50 19 Dec 09

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\. However the welcome screen only has three user accounts showing (family members). The system goes straight to saving settings and logging off when trying to open any of these accounts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…