trojan problems

lakeman 20:11 09 Jan 09

i recently bought a second hand pc(fool i know) i found out pretty quick it wasnt using a validated copy of xp. also its full of trojans and other beasts eg costrat zlob downloader etc..registry is teeming ..assuming my memory is clean would it be ok to format then instal a good version of xp and would that get rid of all the bad stuff..

rdave13 20:28 09 Jan 09

I think it would only if the XP licence number is valid and only running on one PC. You'll have to find the drivers via something like PC Wizard 2008 unless you have the drivers disc for the PC.

wis 20:36 09 Jan 09

is there a sticker some where on tower whith product code

tullie 20:40 09 Jan 09

Just format and reinstall.

lakeman 20:49 09 Jan 09

there is no sticker on the case.i assumed a format then clean instal with a proper xp would instal all the drivers needed.even upgrading to vista ,would that solve it

rdave13 20:55 09 Jan 09

You'll get the generic Windows drivers. You might need other drivers for audio and graphics.

MAJ 20:58 09 Jan 09

A format and reinstall will remove all viruses and trojans, but you're not guaranteed that XP or Vista will have all your hardware's drivers. Download all the drivers first and have them on a separate CD ready for installation after you install the OS.

rdave13 21:03 09 Jan 09

Agree with MAJ but don't use the secondhand PC to do this as you might have an infected CD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…