Trojan or virus?

Graham ® 08:51 08 Jun 05

Called to a neighbours house last night. An email attachment had been opened with the following results:

Can't access certain websites, especially security sites such as Symantec (Norton AV).

Can't open Norton 2005 - 'An error has occured'. Same result with Norton CD, trying Repair.

Add/Remove programs lists only 3 old programs from 2004.

Can't receive emails.

Can't access the Registry.

I didn't get the chance to try Safe Mode, ran out of time. PCWorld had advised neighbour to use the XP recovery CD, so that's where I left it last night.

Does this point to a particular Trojan or Virus? Whatever it is, it has got past Norton.

961 09:12 08 Jun 05

Have you any details of the e-mail such as the heading or content?

Graham ® 09:21 08 Jun 05

It said something like 'update your profile'.

961 09:29 08 Jun 05

Looks something like W32/Mytob worm

There are a number of variants

See click here

Graham ® 09:46 08 Jun 05

Thanks. Looks like their definitions weren't up to date. Most recovery options seem to require editing the Registry, which of course isn't possible at the moment.

gudgulf 10:16 08 Jun 05
  gudgulf 10:18 08 Jun 05

Sorry,here is the removal tool link click here

This site likes Symantec links even less than Microsoft ones,lol.

Graham ® 10:34 08 Jun 05

Thanks. System Restore was turned off when I got there. Neighbour says she didn't do it, or know how to do it.

Have downloaded the removal tool, if she has not already restored XP I will take it round.

961 10:41 08 Jun 05

Hi Graham

While on this sort of problem I wonder if it is worth looking at how (and if) Norton is updating itself on this system?

From reading past threads and reviews I get the impression that Live Update seems to get its definitions updated once a week. The manual job, from my memory of the sales pitch, seems to update "every couple of days or more often if necessary"

In this day and age I am aware that my free Avast seems to update every day, and sometimes 3 or even 4 times a day. F-Secure, which I used to run until it fell out with Zone Alarm, prided itself on updating fast and again often had more than one update per day

I don't really want to get into the Norton for and against argument but I just wonder how effective the (auto?) updating is on this computer

Regards

Graham ® 10:45 08 Jun 05

My thoughts exactly. She just leaves Norton to get on with things! Not enough, these days.

Graham ® 17:26 08 Jun 05

Virus received via MSN Messenger, not email.

Norton is set to update daily.

Mytob removal tool states 'Mytob not found' after it has run.

Installed AVG, no virus found.

Now going to try Stinger, unless they find the XP restore disk first!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…