is this a trojan? - or not?

palinka 10:28 14 Nov 08

I received (but did not open) an email supposedly from UPS about a non-deliverable package (that I had not sent) and warnings of what it would cost if I didn't collect it, etc etc.
I deleted, unopened, ran full scan etc.
Because it had been sent from a Pipex address I also forwarded it to the spam/abuse department there and received a reply that it contained "Mal/EncPk-FZ".
Today a friend tells me that he received the same but he did open it.
What's his best way of removing it?

provider 2 12:08 14 Nov 08

"Trojan-Spy.Zbot.YETH is a rootkit trojan which steals online banking information and downloads other malware as well."

From ThreatExpert: click here

provider 2 12:14 14 Nov 08

Perhaps one of these will remove it but I have no experience of using any of them:

click here

aitch2 13:04 14 Nov 08

I also had this one a couple of days ago. I'm using Mailwasher (click here) which at least gives me more control over my emails without them inadvertently getting onto the computer.
Aitch

palinka 14:48 14 Nov 08

thank you both.
aitch2, I also use mailwasher, which helped me identify this one; problem is my friend obviously doesn't use mailwasher - not sure what he does use.

DieSse 20:47 14 Nov 08

I've had quite a number of these fake "UPS" messages.

Eset security (NOD32) identifies and removes them automatically thus rendering them harmless.

The secret is to get a good AV system with no "missing facilities" such as free AV versions usually suffer from.

Spybot S & D has rootkit detection - and a new tool Rootalyser

click here

And is generally a good all-round good anti-malware tool too.

However, with Eset I now find it normal that extra tools find no threats. A tribute to how nice it is to have a fully dependable security suite.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced