Trojan horse virus

Taram 14:04 24 Jun 03

A friend of mine has got a trojan horse virus which she cannot get rid of, she as tried removing it with her AGV anti-virus programme, but it is saying that it cannot heal the virus or put it in the virus vault, as anyone got any ideas on how to remove the virus, she has got Windows Me.

Thank you

Taram

bazza2 14:13 24 Jun 03

Any more details on which virus it is ???

Jester2K II 14:28 24 Jun 03

Is it in a folder called Resote or something like that?

If so switch System Restore off and then on to flush it from the folder.

Taram 16:19 24 Jun 03

Yes the virus is called: C\restore\temp\A0144156.cpy trojan horse downloader.checkin.

Taram

woodchip 16:50 24 Jun 03

Definitions

Virus
A virus is a program that propagates itself by infecting other programs on the same computer. Viruses can do serious damage, such as erasing your files or your whole disk, or they may just do silly/annoying things like pop up a window that says "Ha ha you are infected!" True viruses cannot spread to a new computer without human assistance, such as if you trade files with a friend and give him an infected file (such as on a floppy or by an email attachment).

Trojan horse
This is a very general term, referring to programs that appear desirable, but actually contain something harmful. The harmful contents could be something simple, for example you may download what looks like a free game, but when you run it, it erases every file in that directory. The trojan's contents could also be a virus or worm, which then spread the damage. See our Trojan horse help page for more information.

As above Trojan is not itself a virus

Look hear for help click here

Taram 17:21 24 Jun 03

Is it safe for my friend to send people emails, or could they get infected with this trojan horse?

Taram

woodchip 17:28 24 Jun 03

It should be removed first

VoG® 17:35 24 Jun 03

Disable System Restore (as said above) like this click here

Do a scan to be sure it has gone.

Re-enable System Restore.

Taram 17:53 24 Jun 03

Thank you, for your help, I have e-mailed my friend, so she can give it a go.

Taram

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac