Trojan horse from MSN

woowoowoo 20:22 05 Jan 07

My son has come back from uni with his(my) laptop which has been infected with a trojan horse which he picked up from clicking something on MSN. This caused continous sites to keep coming up when on the internet. He had Norton antivirus on it - trial version, which he didnt update. We have the laptop home now and I am trying to fix it. I have run AVG antivirus on it and found 18 problems which AVG has healed.
So now I can connect to the internet, but cant get on any sites - gets half way and is timed out.
Any suggestions - I am thinking of wiping it clean and starting again - saving any important documents, but will these be infected?
If I pay for a antivirus program like Norton will that fix the problem?

VoG II 20:23 05 Jan 07
  woowoowoo 21:19 05 Jan 07

Thanks I have done that and run spyware and am now on the net. I am now getting errors when I star up the laptop says something like ipwins.exe cant run because it needs services.dll. What is this?
Also I keep detecting Trojan Horse collected.AF??????????
Any advice greatfully received

VoG II 21:25 05 Jan 07

ipwins.exe is spyware. Run HJT click here and post y7our log on the MWR forum click here

woowoowoo 21:32 05 Jan 07

Cripes - if its that bad, would it be better to wipe the machine and reload windows?

terryf 21:34 05 Jan 07

But you would lose all you data wouldn't you?

woowoowoo 21:54 05 Jan 07

True - but is quite a new machine and hasn't got much on it yet - after all son is at university and hasnt done much work!!!!

woowoowoo 21:59 05 Jan 07

ok - have now posted my log on the website. What is this log?

PaulB2005 22:02 05 Jan 07

Try downloading ClamWin Portable from click here. Unzip to a flash drive and run the program. Update it and then transfer to the infected laptop. Run a scan.

If not flash drive, unzip to a folder, run program and update, then burn to CD. Copy onto laptop and run.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…