Trojan horse that keeps coming back

Billy911 14:58 27 Feb 05

When opening IE an AVG resident shield window opens saying that it has detected a virus. The virus is:
Trojan horse Startpage. 16.BD

The homepage has been hijacked with a searchpage. I've tried deleting, healing and moving to vault but the file se.dll keeps coming back. Tried Spybot s&d and Adaware both without success. Also a popup window appears:
Error loading C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\se.dll

VoG II 14:59 27 Feb 05

Try a² click here

Billy911 15:46 27 Feb 05

VoG™ thanks for that but unfortunately it didn't find anything.

howard60 16:17 27 Feb 05

if you have system restore active avg cannot get rid of it - so to get rid of it you have to switch off system restore - this then means you have no restore points until you have rebooted and switched it back on. Try looking in start - run - msconfig - top right tab startup. If the trojan is in the list with a tick in its box it will keep reloading on boot up. Take its tick out and reboot then run all the spy things one after the other to clean your system. I have the ms beta - spybot s and d - adaware and a2. Each seems very good at finding different things missed by each other.

groundhog 16:35 27 Feb 05

Two more anti spyware tools for you to try

1. MS Antispyware (beta) click here

2. SpyWare Blaster
click here

Once you have gotten rid of it these two programs should keep you clean at least for a while.

Stephen watson 17:33 27 Feb 05

I also have the same problem as Billy 911

Billy911 11:08 19 Nov 05

I just wiped the HDD. It was doing my head in.

keewaa 11:23 19 Nov 05

Good decision, means you can be 100% sure, and the number of times people scan this that and the other and something is still there .... it actually ends up being quicker to reformat and reinstall.

vinnyT 14:52 19 Nov 05

I, just today, had a similar prob. Where 3 of my checkers found malware, said I had to restart to wipe fully from disk, did this several times.

Eventually, turned off system restore, restarted in safe mode and ran a squard from there, job done. But what a fuss.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…