Trojan horse Downloader Ist.bar.S

Wiliwombat 03:29 08 Nov 03

Have Zone Alarm running and AVG. Keep getting message Infected with Trojan Horse Downloader Istbar. Have run AVG, Ad-aware and comes back clear but when I do a system restore it wont let me and tells me I have the above trojan horse installed. Any idea how I can remove it. Thanks

temp003 04:01 08 Nov 03

The removal of restore points in ME and XP's System Restore is limited. You can't pick and choose.

You can delete all of them, by turning off System Restore altogether (this will get rid of all restore points including any trojan or virus saved in System Restore).

Another is to delete all but the last restore point.

A third method is to reduce the amount of disk space reserved for System Restore. When the disk space is reduced, the older restore points which are over the storage limit will be deleted.

All these can be accessed I think by right clicking My Computer, Properties, System Restore tab.

If you need to restore other files on your computer to a restore point which happens also to contain a Trojan (so that you can't afford to remove the restore point), you can try disconnecting yourself from your internet connection, disable your AV and firewall, then restore your computer to the "infected" restore point.

Once the computer is restored to the infected state, turn off System Restore (which will delete all previous rstore points). Then run your AV to scan for the Trojan again, and let your AV remove it.

Wiliwombat 13:45 08 Nov 03

Hi Temp003
Thanks for that advice. I will try it out and let you know how I get on. Thanks again

ger-284341 16:09 26 Dec 03

is the letter at the end of this trojan different for a reason..i've seen it as a p and as an f

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5