Trojan downloader.s - how can I kill this one?

musicbassman 18:29 17 Aug 06

Hello folks
I've picked up a nasty trojan that I can't get rid of. My McAfee has picked it up, and called it Generic Downloader.s. It cannot clean or delete this file. I've googled this and found click here where they say that Kaspersky labs also call this Trojan-downloader.Win32.Adload.j.
I've followed their removal instructions which say I need to look for the file C:\drsmart\load1.exe and delete it. But I can't find this file anywhere.
Any suggestions please? Thanks.

VoG II 18:30 17 Aug 06

Try a-squared click here

musicbassman 09:52 19 Aug 06

Thanks VoG,
I downloaded A-Squared and it found Downloader and deleted it.(I had to turn off McAfee whilst it scanned my files,or it froze up when it got to the downloader file) But within 10 minutes Downloader had reinstalled itself - McAfee picked it up again.
I also have Prevx on my PC, that couldn't find it at all.
Any other suggestions? Thanks

ArrGee 11:10 19 Aug 06

Try Spybot and AdAware
click here
click here

rawprawn 11:22 19 Aug 06

Try turning System Restore Off and rebooting then scan again. Don't forget to turn it back on. These things can hide in system restore.

musicbassman 21:24 19 Aug 06

Thanks rawprawn - it was hiding in System Restore. I deleted it by switching off System Restore, then I scanned with A-Squared which came up clean, then I switched System Restore on again. It hasn't reappeared (yet)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant