Trojan Downloader.Keenval.E

Barbara_GB 09:25 11 Apr 04

Hi
My AVG antivirus (free version)software found trojan Downloader.Keenval.E in C:\programme files\Common Files\updmgr.exe. AVG is unable to quarantine the file and I am unable to delete it. Any suggestions on removal please and what harm could it do if I just ignored it? We use Windows XP home and my daughter uses Kazaa, which seems to be the culprit for most things.
I'be grateful for any thoughts.
Barbara

Taw® 09:43 11 Apr 04

Kazza has met many references on this forum and the ultimate advice is if you want a safe computer then get rid. If your running XP then uncheck your system restore and then reapply it. Sometimes the viruses are resident in there and AVG cannot delete. Note that on disabling sy restore you will lose all previous restore points.

Kate B 11:09 11 Apr 04

If your daughter must use Kazaa, she should use Kazaa lite - available here click here

get rid of the old, malware-loaded version, install the lite version and then run all your various anti-virus and spyware detector software. I use Kazaa lite and I've never had any security problems.

Win MX (click here) also doesn't seem to cause any security problems, though with both I would advise limiting access to one shared folder only and running everything - spyware/AV/firewall updates and scans regularly.

VoG II 11:15 11 Apr 04

Try running Ad-aware click here and Spybot click here

Barbara_GB 14:52 11 Apr 04

Thank you all for your help. Taw - I tried your suggestion and it worked! Kate B - last time she tried Lite she reckoned it lost all her MP3s (found them later)but I will persuade her to give it another go. Vog - thanks. I will try these for future use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…