Trojan Downloader.Apropo.D & Windows Media Player

oddgeezer 20:42 13 Jun 04

Windows Me:

Media Player icon has now mysteriously turned into a stars & stripes flag. On attempting to launch Media Player, AVG Resident Shield appears saying “Trojan horse Downloader.Apropo.D is in May_17.exe.” with only the option of saying no to it’s being allowed access. I came across May17.exe a couple of weeks ago, before downloading AVG and thought I’d managed to remove it (now looks like only some of it). Then Media Player doesn’t open.

I ran AVG in Safe mode and it came up with 4 infected files, 3 with Apropo.D in file C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\A0148----.CPY and one with May17.exe. These could not be deleted nor moed to the Virus Vault.

I opened C:\_RESTORE\TEMP\etc.which contains numerous entries and the offending 3 serial numbers, but couldn’t find any way of deleting them. On clicking “select all”, a message appeared that there were 3 hidden files. Could be the 3 Apropo.D files?, even though their serial numbers were listed.

Went into Start – Run – Sysconfig – Startup (thanks to an article in PC Answers). Some references to a couple of familiar pests I’d seen before. One called Internet-Optimizer that interrupts when switching web pages or opening favourites. I unchecked this box and one other pest and seem to have cleared them from Startup (I hope). Also, when my Internet homepage has been on a while clicking X will not shut it down – have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del. Problem persists.

Ran AVG again but still could not send 3 Apropo.D files to Virus Vault, but managed to do so with May17.

Also went into registry checker, for the first time, for any clues, but wary of interfering.

Zone Alarm has a number of rogue applications that I’ve denied access (includes May17).

So, any ideas on: 1) How to get rid of Apropo.D from _RESTORE\TEMP and how to access hidden files. 2) How to get Media Player working without re-installing (if I have to re-install how would I select this only from the Windows installation disk – I don’t want to overwrite other applications as some have been updated. 3) How to get Internet homepage to close properly.

Grateful to receive help. If I don’t respond quickly, it’s just that my daughters are always on the PC and I don’t get much of a look in. And when I do, I seem to spend all my time running maintenance & spyware/antivirus programs. Where’s the fun?

Thanks.

VoG II 21:45 13 Jun 04

The first thing to do is disable System Restore click here then scan again and tell us what is still found.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…