Trojan can't be removed

Throbber 11:08 27 Sep 05

McAfee has detected a trojan which it can't clean, quarantine or remove. It says
"The file C:\WINDOWS\system323\hp9514.tmp is infected by the Puper.dll trojan and cannot be cleaned."
I removed a similar file manually, but on restart the same message (with a different number after the "hp") appeared.
I'm running Windows XP Home SP2.

Anyone know how to kill this?

MAJ 11:15 27 Sep 05

Try "A-squared", Throbber. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:41 27 Sep 05

Viruses hide in system restore
1. to prevent virus returning on restart you need to scan and clean/delete with system restore switched off.

2. try scanning in safe mode thi may allow the file to be deleted.

rawprawn 12:47 27 Sep 05

I had this last week, it seems to be part of a trojan called Media Motor,I was unable to delete it and eventually used an Acronis backup to get rid of it click here to have a look and see if any of it helps. I was unable to find it in the registry or windows which would have let me manually delete it. Good luck.

rawprawn 13:39 27 Sep 05

I should have said "I think" it is part of media motor, as it was one of about 5 different trojans that appeared when I became infected. This may be worth a look click here and also click here

Throbber 06:29 29 Sep 05

Thanks, all.
Like rawprawn, I couldn't find any way to delete it.
Did a system restore, and that seemed to allow McAfee to then clean it. All now seems well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…