Trnsferring files from old pc to new one.

BigBolanFan 13:08 20 Jul 05

I know this subject is already listed on the forum but I cannot seem to follow the instructions.

I've just got a new pc, & I want to transfer settings, music files, film clips etc from my old one. The o/s on both pc's is XP. The old one is a "Tiny" 450 mhz antique!
I asked for advice at PC World and was told I needed a "Belkin" lead that plugs into both instructions via the "New Connection Wizard".

I've tried to do it that way and got as far as the "Autodetect screen" on both pc's. They both run continuously without recognising the other computer! When I click on the overlapping tv screens in the taskbar of the new pc I am informed that something like 2,052 bytes are being sent but nothing is coming back! I also get the msg; "You might not be able to access the internet or some network recourses. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer"

Can anyone out there tell me, in easy to follow steps pls, how i can do it?

retep888 16:41 20 Jul 05

1. If your "Belkins" cable is a crossover ethernet ,plug it into each pc's ethernet port and run the "Home networking wizard" using ICS(Internet connection sharing) then transfer your files.

2. If it's a usb file & transferring cable, then plug it into each pc's usb port,select files and settings transfer wizard from system tools and follow the instructions.

3. My favourite one......it's quick & it's FREE!

Take the harddrive from the old pc and put it in the new machine as a slave after changing jumpers if needed,then start transferring files.

HTH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…