Triple H/Drive setup advice please

radi8or 13:58 24 Aug 03

Hi,chaps & chapesses
I want to set up a third hard drive (10gig)for storage etc.
mobo is an Epox 4g4A+ which has IDE 1 & 2 and UIDE 1 & 2, at the moment I have 2x40 gig. set up as master/slave on IDE 1 and CD/RW & DVDrom as master/slave on IDE 2. Questions:- Can I just jumper it as slave and connect up to UIDE 1

Do I use the centre plug on the cable

Hard drives are 2x40 W/Digital 7200.
and a 10gig Seagate (speed not known),will they be compatible.

any other ideas gratefully accepted
Thanks in advance

DieSse 14:32 24 Aug 03

Ah - you mean RAID connectors. The motherboard manual should tell you how to set the extra drive to use it on the RAID connector. I would think you would set it as master normally.

You should ALWAYS put single drives on the end connector of IDE cables, for electrical noise considerations. If you set the jumper to Master or Slave, the connectors are not position dependant.

Megatyte 14:33 24 Aug 03

Jumper as Master and use the end plug.

AH

radi8or 15:07 24 Aug 03

DieSse,Megatyte,
no, do not want a RAID config,just keep separate for storage,backups etc thanks anyway for quick response

any thoughts on compatability between H/Ds being
different makes

Ta very much

bob

Megatyte 15:15 24 Aug 03

HDD make is not an issue.

The red UIDE connectors on your board ARE raid. You may need to set them otherwise.

Jumper as stated above.

AH

DieSse 15:21 24 Aug 03

Megagtyte is quite right - you may have to change a setting for the RAID connectors - that's why you must consult the manual.

You can definately use the RAID connectors in a non- RAID configuration.

And to confirm - no there is no problem with drive compatability, speed issues or anything else.

DieSse 15:25 24 Aug 03

Link to the manul in case you haven't got one click here

radi8or 15:30 24 Aug 03

Thanks guys,
would their be any advantage in putting the 2x40
h/ds on the UIDE connector

The Sack 15:33 24 Aug 03

Set up a RAID 0 with 2 of them, Windows will see the combined total of both discs added together but it will only see one big drive but it will read and write twice as fast.

radi8or 15:45 24 Aug 03

Sorry maybe should have mentioned earlier have
xp home FAT32 on 1 and ME on t,other any problems there ? last question I promise

Ta very much
Bob

Megatyte 15:57 24 Aug 03

No problems. All you are doing is adding extra storage.

Ask as many questions as you like. That's why we're here :-)

AH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…