Trillian Crash

dogbreath1 18:46 27 Dec 04

XP Home. When an application crashes, there seems to be some basic info. recorded in the Event Viewer in Control Panel. Is a dump file formed at the same time and retained? If so how is such a file accessed and is it easily interpreted?

Dorsai 19:03 27 Dec 04

I just had a look in event viewer (I did not even know it existed and had to search for it).

It was full of stuff. Basically all it was reporting was; 'there was a problem, and it was fixed', 'there was a problem, and it could not be fixed', 'it worked', 'you signed onto the net' or 'you logged off' etc. Easy to understand, but no real use to me.

dogbreath1 19:51 27 Dec 04

I've found that Windows XP can be formatted to enable Dump Files, using Start>Control Panel>System>Advanced>Startup and Recovery Settings>Small Memory Dump (In Write Debugging Information List). A utility, Dumpchk.exe can then be used to access the saved Dump Files- and is to be found on the Windows XP CD-ROM being installed from the Support\Tools Folder. Dumpchk.exe is saved by default in Program Files\Support Tools Folder. However, when attempting to launch Dumpchk.exe, a brief flash of the C:\ small black window disappears and the screen reverts to the Support Tools Folder page. Can Anyone get me a ny further please? I've been referring to MS Knowledge Base Publications 315263/315271/254649.

dogbreath1 14:51 30 Dec 04

Still not resolved the dumpchk.exe problem- it seems to be a Microsoft.NET Framework issue, I think I require a more recent version. But Trillian is now working o.k.. It requires a total uninstall prior to a newer version being loaded. Then it runs fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…