Trikie

Trikie 23:16 09 Oct 03

My computer came new with Works word processor - I believe this is a cut down version of Word. Is it worth going up to Word? What am I missing by not doing so?

Djohn 23:19 09 Oct 03

Which version of works and is it "Works Suite" if so it may be the full version of Word. j.

VoG II 23:22 09 Oct 03

"Please ensure that your thread title accurately describes your subject"

I don't understand the subject. No answer possible.

LastChip 23:24 09 Oct 03

You are roughly correct in your assumptions, but it depends a lot on what you would use Word for.

I used Works for years, and didn't find any problem NOT having Word.

If all you want is a basic word processor to write letters and so on, Works is perfectly adequate.

Try not to get caught in the trap of buying software you have no use for. Most people only use a fraction of Works (or Words) capabilities, so have a good think about what you require, before spending your money!

krypt1c 23:26 09 Oct 03

Trikie - when starting a thread you should put info about your problem in title, not your user name. Cheers krypt1c ;-))

DieSse 23:35 09 Oct 03

As per what Djohn said - if your system has a full "Works Suite" installed, this includes the Works word processor, which is more than adequate. It ALSO includes a full version of the standard MSWord.

So ahve a look in the program menus, and see if Word is lurking there too.

"What am I missing" - about a billion facilities that many people never use - or not much, depending on how you look at it ;-))

Forum Editor 23:38 09 Oct 03

It includes a word processor, spreadsheet, database, and calendar. The word processor is fully compatible with MS Word, and will open those files with no problem. The same applies to the spreadsheet and Excel.

If you use a word processor intensively, on a daily basis it would certainly be worth upgrading to Word, but if you work that way I imagine you would have bought MS Office anyway.

Otherwise, I'm sure you'll find Works is more than adequate for your needs.

woodchip 23:49 09 Oct 03

This is one I would not like to gamble on, but a friend who has an access business used to use works when he upgraded to MS office I do not think he could read any of the works files in word. This is one of the worst things about MSoffics as there formats do not seem to be back word compactable even in Word. Every version seems to change

Trikie 11:00 10 Oct 03

My apologies for confusing the titles - mine and the thread.

Thanks all for the advice. Seems I'm no worse off with Works from my point of view, but when I e-mail documents the receivers can rarely open them. I now save a copy in rtf and e-mail that. I guess I may as well carry on this way.

LastChip 18:27 10 Oct 03

If you open up Works and click on Tools; Options; General; and select, Send mail as Text, you should be able to send your e-mail straight from Works without any further intervention.

Just to prove the point, try it, and open up a document and send it back to yourself. Now see if you received the document as per the original.

Forum Editor 18:34 10 Oct 03

and you have both applications, you simply save the Works file as a Word document.

If you want to open a Works document in Word you can, but you'll need to install the necessary filter first. The filter comes on the MS Office CD, and you'll be prompted to install it when you try to open the Works document.

All versions of Word can open Word documents created in all previous versions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…