Tried it all but System Restore will not work

billy 16:54 13 Sep 03

I've read earlier threads and tried:
1. reducing memory to minimum then resetting to maximum.
2. Disabling System restore then enabling.
3. running "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Restore\rstrui.exe /makefirstrestorepoint".
After all of these I have reboted many times.
But still, when I start System Restore the window comes up but when I click to create a Restore point I get an error message "System Restore is unbale to create a restore point". I have been to Windows Update so my Windows ME is up to date.

spuds 17:08 13 Sep 03

I use to have WME on my previous computer,and still I think that it is a very good O/S. I had similar problems with WME restore facility. Eventually found out via Microsoft, that if you have 'lacking' harddrive capacity, then WME will dump your restore points.Is your harddrive nearly full or requires cleaning up?.

krypt1c 17:08 13 Sep 03

Hi Billy - This MS article suggests this might be caused by a corrupt registry and offers some suggestions
click here

BillyBee 18:08 13 Sep 03

when installing windows ME,I use a little prog called "290700usam.exe" ( A Restore fix) I dont know wether it is included in "windows updates" as I dont use them.

seem to remember restore stopped working in ME on 8th Sept, cant remember year, and this prog was meant to fix it.

I get the restore unable message until i use it.

hope this is what you are looking for.

Bill

billy 18:09 13 Sep 03

My hard disk has plenty of space. I tried method 2 from krypt1c and thast solved it. Thanks

swapper 20:42 13 Sep 03

This was very interesting to me, I have Winxp and have never, despite asking questions on this forum, and reinstalling after reformatting, been able to get the restore funtion to work :-)

Jester2K II 21:10 13 Sep 03

Ditch System Restore and buy GoBack 3.

Best £30 you'll spend. Believe me it'll pay for itself...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…