Tree Menu's in Dreamweaver?

OK Computer 16:47 24 Feb 04

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm new to website design and more importantly i'm brand new to Dreamweaver.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to create a tree menu navigation bar in Dreamweaver?

For example:
- Home
- Home Page 1
- Home Page 2

+ Page 2
+ Page 3

Hope this makes sense!! Similar to the way windows explorer works..

If you know of any tutorials I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Martin

Taran 17:27 24 Feb 04

To what purpose ?

Dreamweaver has a file browser built in.

You don't say which version you are using, but assuming it is MX or 2004 MX, if you click on the Files tab on the right of the Dreamweaver program window then select the Site submenu it lists the files and folders in your web. Just below the web root folder in the same panel is an icon called Desktop with a + sign to the left of it. Click that + sign and you get the Windows explorer navigation system to navigate your PC.

If you mean you want to make a website that has text links over the top of the pages that read along the lines of:

Home >> Subcategory1 >> Article1

you can do this by clicking on the Code tab on the left of your Dreamweaver panel group, click on the Code tab in that window, scroll down the navigation and expand the folder by clicking the + sign, then double click either of the Breadcrumb entries in that folder to drop them into your web page. Amend the links to point to your pages and there you go.

OK Computer 10:37 25 Feb 04

I think your second point is what I'm after.

It basically a standard navigation bar that when you click on one button (for example Home) it expands a list of new buttons.

Taran 10:56 25 Feb 04

Ah, an expanding menu. Sorry, I hadn't realised that's what you were after.

If you go the Macromedia website click here and click on the link to take you to the Exchange, you can create a user account [only requires your email address].

Once you've done that and signed into the Macromedia Exchange you can search for a free add-in called, wait for it, Collapsible Menu, coded by Gary Elsbernd. You can dowload it, then once you install it, you find a new button on the toolbar in Dreamweaver. Hover your mouse over it and a tooltip will pop up and say Collapsible Menu 1.2.1

Click on that button and follow the prompts.

It creates a nice JavaScript collapsible menu where clicking on one link reveals a series of sublinks.

There are also loads of downloads that can give a similar overall effect:

click here

click here

Search in Google for "JavaScript menu" and you get more returns than you'll know what to do with.

This should be more along the lines of what you're after.

OK Computer 10:58 25 Feb 04

Excellent! Thanks a lot....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…