trashing of floppy disk by windows7

cordeiro 18:54 PM 26 Sep 11

I have a dell vostro460 windows7 professional and word 2010, and a usb floppy drive.when i open a file in the floppy drive it lists the files on the disk, I click on one to select the file, word 2010 loads and displays the file, I then make changes and add somthing more and then click to 'save as' with a new filename. instead of saving the file in a new filename, the floppy is driven and fails to save but then OS or word 2010 trashes the file and asks if 'do you want to format ?' I have lost 3 floppies with valuable data and I suspect it is the O.S to blame. Please help. Rufino Cordeiro

Peter 19:17 PM 26 Sep 11

I think I would copy the files from the floppy disk to a folder on the hard drive and avoid trying to edit the files actually on the floppy disk or save any files to the floppy disk. Just use the files already on the floppy as archive material, but don't try to edit them on the floppy disk at all.

lotvic 20:03 PM 26 Sep 11

Floppy possibly has not much room on it and when you make changes it gets fragmented (has to try to fit a bit here a bit there)

I would do as Peter says don't try to edit them on the floppy disk at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week