Transparent Background Issue

babybell 09:43 16 Sep 08

Out rugby club has a website click here I have generated our logo badge using photoshop and then made some changes in Fireworks so that the background is transparent. When I placed the image on the blue background in Dreamweaver the background is transparent and it looks nice but now I have uploaded it to the internet, it is appearing with a white box around it. The file format is a .png file. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

MAJ 11:39 16 Sep 08

I don't see a white box around the logo, in either IE7 or Firefox 3, babybell. click here

babybell 11:45 16 Sep 08

I admit I am viewing the site through IE6 so that must be what the issue is. I hope that everyone who visits the site is viewing through IE7! Thanks for your help!

Eric10 12:49 16 Sep 08

For IE6 I think GIF is more compatible for transparency than PNG.

Taran 10:00 18 Sep 08

IE6 is a pain for its fundamental lack of support for various standards we have all come to accept.

IE7 introduced support for transaprent PNG and the only solutions I know for getting them to work for users of IE6 are:

1. somehow persuade users of IE6 to upgrade their browser

2. use a browser sniffing script and heavily customised styles to cater to IE6 users

If you choose option 2 you need to be careful because the code is messy and can introduce validation problems.

There are loads of resources on the web for this, but one interesting (to me anyway) discussion can be found here: click here

And an example solution, can be seen here: click here

Browsers are a web designers greatest enemy...

babybell 10:11 18 Sep 08

It is a pain, I think I will just leave a line at the top of the page saying this site is best viewed using IE7 then past a link for the download.

Kemistri 17:17 18 Sep 08

The internet hardly needs another site that someone thinks should be viewed in certain browsers. That is a suggestion that no visitor should ever see.

If your logo is not going to move in relation to the repeated background, and I can see no reason why you would want it to, you have an obvious and simple option to avoid transparency: introduce a background to your PNG that mimics bg_list.gif, which should be all of two minutes' work in your image editor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…