Transmitting DV data from video camera to laptop

terminalfailure 04:25 11 Jul 05

Having recently purchased a digital video camcorder(Samsung VP D325i) I now wish to download to my laptop for further editing/storage to CD/Mem Stick and release the DV tapes for further usage However my laptop does not have Firewire port. Am I right in thinking that a PCMCIA card with Firewire port will do the trick. Further to this my camera only has a 4 pin dv connector whilst most firewire outlets seem to be 6 pin. I have seen 6 to 4 pine cables available for this task but are there any quality losses in downloading using this type of cable. ie 6 pins must enable more controls/facilities than 4 pins. All donations gratefully received...........thanks

De Marcus 05:27 11 Jul 05

click here for the firewire card and click here for the 6 pin to 4 pin adaptor cable. P.s. these are just examples and shopping around might get you them a bit cheaper. With regards to the extra two pins, they're there purely as a power supply and offer no function other than to draw power from the firewire port to recharge the batteries, (not always supported on some camera models) such is the case with the ipod, plug it into a 4 port socket and you'll get the connection but under the steam of the ipods battery, plug it into a 6 port and you get the added benefit of a connection whilst it gets recharged, and that's about it.

Err, hope that rambling helps.

terminalfailure 06:20 11 Jul 05

Many thanks De Marcus you have confirmed my suspicions but I did not have the courage of my convictions as I have only just got into photography and have never used Firewire before.

Thanks again..........Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…