Translating websites to other languages

Midsman2005 11:50 17 Jul 06

Dear Forum,

I am not sure if something like this exists, so please excuse me if it is a silly question!

A significant proportion of the traffic to my website comes from South America and I would like to include a link somewhere on my website that says "to see this website in Spanish/Portugeuse/French/etc" please click here.

So that when the visitor clicks the link they see the same website, just in their own language.

I am capable of doing this by simply re-writing the whole website in these other languages, but I was rather hoping that there was something that could do it automatically as the translations would not have to be perfect.

I would be surprised if something like this exists, but it would be nice if it did :-)

Thanks.

mco 12:36 17 Jul 06

There are automatic site translators (been mentioned before here if you do a search) But honestly, speaking as a linguist, I wouldn't trust them - they are just machines and don't always get the right word or phrase. If you know the language well enough yourself to translate it, do so; if not, find a native speaker - but not an automatic translation machine!

harristweed 09:18 18 Jul 06

i've used this in the passed.

click here

Works well enough.

mco 11:28 18 Jul 06

I beg to differ! It translates my 'news feed' section as 'meals for the news' - and that's just the first line!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced