Transfers Old PC to detachable Hard Drive

sjd 12:12 28 Feb 05

i have an old PC using Windows 98 with two usb ports and I wish to transfer info from it to a detachable hard drive or to a new computer using Windows XP media centre What do I need to do to the old computer to enable transfer to be effected?

xania 12:44 28 Feb 05

I am a bit confused by your question. I assume that you are planning to remove your Hard Disk from your old PC and attach this to your new PC as a slave? Your data will then be available on your new PC. Of course, if you then want to continue to use your old PC, you will need to copy the data to your new Hard Disk - you can then remove the old Hard Disk from the new PC and replace it in the old one.

plsndrs3 12:52 28 Feb 05

You could try drive image or Norton Ghost to copy the drive over - but will you really need the OS or is it the programs you are after?

If it picture, music files, etc, it is easier just to copy these over on their own using windows own copy & paste faeature.
HTH

Paul

Completealias 13:01 28 Feb 05

If you mean that you are going to get an external usb hard drive then you should just b able to plug this drive into the usb port and then drag and drop your files onto the drive. You may need USB drivers as win98 needed an update for them I believe.

The other options avaiable r as xania suggested u can slave your old hard drive in the new computer and then drag and drop the files across.

Or if you have a network port available on both pc's u could attach them with a crossover network cable and again drag and drop files across.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…