Transferring Vinyl Records to CD's

haricot 19:53 24 Oct 07

This has probably been asked before but can I get
the latest views please of :-

Which is the best way or easiest way to transfer Vinyl LP's to Cd.
Is there any good software out there that anyone can recomend from personal use.

Not having done it before, a short "recipe" would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Technotiger 20:24 24 Oct 07
  Technotiger 20:26 24 Oct 07
  bjh 20:34 24 Oct 07

It is quite a while since I did this, so I'm not going to recommend software, as what I used is pretty dated. Others will have a better idea.

What I would try to get you to do is keep the "raw copied data" as long as possible.

I transferred about 300 classical records from vinyl to CD over the course of about six or eight months. Some were irreplaceable old friends. To start with, I was incredibly impressed with what I had done, the scratches and clicks I had removed, the track divisions I had made.....

I passed some of the records on (legally, you probably should keep them, by the way)....

And by the time I was ding the last ten or so, I realised what a cr@p job I had done of the first ones!!!

Had I kept a copy of the raw copy on CD, before ANY processing, I could have made a better recording in a jiffy. However, even keeping the records would have been a time - consuming nonsense. It's just the unedited recording you need.

I'd really, really recommend you waste a few pence per copy and keep that valuable "Raw data", clicks, pops and all.

Oh, and put the final work on quality named brand CD, or you may find your hard work goes down the drain.

interzone55 20:43 24 Oct 07

I recently found this little device, the Pro-ject Phono-Box II USB, click here,
which is a turntable pre-amp with USB output to rip your vinyl to CD. It comes with a copy of Audacity for recording and post-processing.

I haven't used one yet, it's about £75 so I'm going to buy myself one for Christmas I think.

eedcam 22:52 24 Oct 07

Unless your collection is unavailable on cd apart from the novelty it is not really worth the effort.Even with something like adobe audacity the work involved and the time taken leaves a lot to be desired .Not to say you should'nt try I have done several but as said soon found that if the Album is available on good well made remaster thats the way to go .However some of the rehashed compilations that are put out is an entirely different story. Next best option is as BJH said just copy the original warts and all.As far as software you could astart with Audacity which is free but limited as are most of the budget editors.

haricot 13:08 25 Oct 07

Many thanks to all of you..Technotiger,bjh,alan14and eedcam.
Your comments are really appreciated.
eedcams comment is particularly interesting.
May I ask bjh , are you saying then it is best to copy the vinyl as it is, without the attempt to get rid of crackles and pops.
If so , how did you do that. Did you not use certain software?

keef66 14:01 25 Oct 07

I dug out my old turntable and bought it a new drive belt. I also had to buy a little phono preamp because my hifi amp had died in the loft. I also acquired a copy of Audio Cleaning lab.
You record the LP as is, then have the option to apply various cleaning techniques before burning to CD or converting to mp3 etc. I burn to printable CD's so I can then find the artwork on the web and print them so they look half decent.
I'm also saving them as MP3's in an attempt to persuade the kids to try them on their Ipods etc.
In terms of software many people use Audacity because it's free

bjh 14:18 25 Oct 07

The process I went through was to attach stereo turntable + Amp to computer, and copy the audio to the computer (scratches and pops and all). Keep a copy of this for a rainy day, preferably on a cd or DVD so it is well out of tamper-reach. THEN use the data on your computer to produce a click-free and track-divided CD.

Yes, it is well worth removing the hiss, crackles and pops. With care and a bit of luck, I'd disagree a bit with eedcam, in that the end result can be pretty impressive; indistinguishable from a cd? no, not quite, but even on my pretty good system, I can't always tell.

My point was that the first CD you make will not be as good as the twentieth, and the fiftieth will be bettre still. You may wish to go back to your earlier recordings and use your newly learned tricks to make better versions of your first attempts. If you have only kept the finished product (split into tracks and de-popped), this is impossible. if you have kept the original copy on your computer or a spare cd (rewrites will do here, or a spare hard disk), you don't have to start again with re-recording the record, which is often the biggest pain.

haricot 15:23 25 Oct 07

Thanks again bjh and to keef66. I really am grateful for your help.

I'll have a go and hope I can pull it off OK.

Much obliged.

bjh 18:21 25 Oct 07

Let us know how you get on... and pace yourself if you have loads to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…