Transferring very large files from old Compaq PC

Budgie52 15:21 23 Sep 07

i am trying to transfer a Quicken source data file .qsd of size 180Mb from my old Compaq Presario 8770 PC - windows 95 Ops system with Omega Zip back-up limited to 100Mb - to my new Dell PC with Windows XP. I have successfully reloaded Quicken 2000 on the new Dell and transferred the data file .qdf of size 4Mb via the Compaq's 56k Modem but very slowly!! However I need to transfer the .qsd file which contains 10 years worth of historic share price info. Any ideas??

Technotiger 15:27 23 Sep 07

If you could remove the hard drive from the old computer, fit it into a USB External Drive Enclosure, you could then connect it to new PC making transfer straight-forward from one to the other.

jack 15:29 23 Sep 07

Take the old drive out complete with data cable and set up into the new machine with a spare IDE slot[temporarily disconnect the CD drive and use that is one way.
If that cause you some concern you can purchase for a small sum an IDE/USB cable and power supply.
Totally remove the drive from old machine and use the IDE/USB cable and power supply to use it an external drive
Or
Buy a Caddy and use the whole thing as a Quicken system drive.

Diemmess 15:50 23 Sep 07

10 years worth on one hard drive in a computer which is itself about the same age?

It really is time to follow the advice to mount the old HD in a powered USB enclosure.

Once you have transferred the precious data, you can replace the old HD and buy a huge capacity new HD.
Put that into the enclosure and have a very useful place to keep backups and anything else for your new computer

Technotiger 15:55 23 Sep 07

Usb External Enclosure ... click here

jack 18:10 23 Sep 07

click here
E-buyer
Complett
Dabs
To do name but a few.
Sell Caddies or enclosures.

Nero6 12:39 09 Jun 08

How do I transfer selected files from my old computer to my new one?

Technotiger 14:36 09 Jun 08

Note the date of the previous post to yours - this is a very old thread, no longer used by its owner. Best to start your own thread, you will then get answers relevant to your own pc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009