transferring software from old to new computer

capnsofa 16:32 15 Dec 05

I have had a desk top PC for over 6 years, running Windows 98. Recently I bought an Acer 1801 Lap Top with Windows XP Home Edition and am very pleased and impressed with it. I have managed to transfer over my numerous files and installed various software which I had been using on my old PC. Everything seemed to be going well and I was feeling smug until I tried using Excel -each time I try to open a transferred file I get the message :
"(file name) xls:file format is not"
I click OK to clear this and amleft with a grey screen which I can clear by closing the Excel sheet.
Can you help me?

wee eddie 16:36 15 Dec 05

Which version of Office are you trying to run?

capnsofa 16:46 15 Dec 05

I am using Excel 95

Belatucadrus 17:53 15 Dec 05

Does this happen

1) If you open Excel first and use it to open the document.

2) If you try to open the document directly by double clicking on it.

or

3) Both

capnsofa 10:35 16 Dec 05

I open the folder in which the Excel file is and immediately get the above mentioned message and the grey screen.

Belatucadrus 11:38 16 Dec 05

Now I'm confused, you get an Excel error message when you open a folder contaning Excel files ? Even with a corrupt file extension I'm not sure what could cause this.
I'd suggest deleting Office, running a registry cleaner like Regclean click here Reboot then reinstall Office.
Or you could try installing OpenOffice click here It's very good at handling Office files, even the newer variants that 95 would have problems with.

capnsofa 18:45 16 Dec 05

Thanks for your help - problem seems to have resolved by usong OpenOffice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…