Transferring programs to new hard drive

canalaholic 12:25 28 Sep 07

I have a very sick hdd which I have replaced but have managed to get the sick drive set up as a slave but access is intermitent. Is there a way of transferring some of the programs for which I no longer have the disks. I can access the program but it is looking for a file on the "C" drive (or possibly a registry entry). The program is on the old drive which is showing as "E". Any ideas please because I am reluctant to have to buy the program again. If all else fails I will have to raid the piggy again.

Thanks

Belatucadrus 12:41 28 Sep 07

As you've already discovered, most software adds entries to the registry during installation, without theses entries it doesn't work and manually replicating them is near impossible.
It may be possible to mirror copy the original drive to another, but as from the sound of it, you've already got the replacement drive up and running, I'm not sure if that's still a viable option, presumably other forumites more aware of the capabilities of those packages can clarify this.
Let us know what programs are causing problems, there's a wealth of good freeware out there and we may be able to point you to some suitable alternatives.

canalaholic 12:54 28 Sep 07

Thanks for the reply. The only prog that I would like to tranfer is Autoroute (I`ve managed to find the disks for all the others).

Cheers

Sea Urchin 14:10 28 Sep 07

If you click here you can download it as freeware

Belatucadrus 14:30 28 Sep 07

Or click here if that wasn't the type of Autoroute you had in mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…