Transferring Programmes

Yeldarb 16:28 05 Oct 09

I have just bought a new Dell Inspiron 546MT.
Difficulties trnsferring programmes from old PC
Dell want £67 to advise.
Howzatt ?

Peter 16:34 05 Oct 09

Sounds like expensive advice to me Bradley. In reality I think the only way is to reload the software from the original disks. Legally you probably need to unload the software from the old machine.

Peter.

Sea Urchin 16:36 05 Oct 09

You cannot satisfactorily transfer programs from one PC to another - you need to install them again.

Data, documents, photos etc can all be transferred across using external storage - flash drive, CD/DVD etc.

Yeldarb 20:41 07 Oct 09

Thank you Peter and Sea Urchin
I suspected that
This week-end I shall do a thorough search to find original discs among the hyndreds I have accumulated ! ! !

DippyGirl 14:47 09 Oct 09

If there some programs you have lost the disks for or are unable to reinstall on your new PC you may want to consider taking a virtual copy of your current PC and running in a Virtual machine on your new one !...
Not ideal and if the new PC is underpowered it will be slow - but if its a critical application it may just get you by

To setup a virtual Machine have a look at Virtual Box click here
Read this to see how to copy your current machine click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…