Transferring password protected files from Word to Pages

pollpott 11:29 03 Dec 12
Answered

I have lots of password protected Word docs on an external HD which I need to open in Mac Pages but I only get a message saying they are password protected with no option to enter the password and so I cannot open them. Any suggestions please?

Chronos the 2nd 13:25 03 Dec 12

I think the only way would be to remove the password protection from the document.

But you might get other suggestions here. Pages Forum.

pollpott 13:43 03 Dec 12

I don't know how to do that but I will check out the link you sent, thanks.

Chronos the 2nd 13:58 03 Dec 12

How do I turn the password protect off in a Word Document?

Go to Tools Options Security and delete it. Bit more here.

pollpott 19:51 04 Dec 12

Thanks for the help. I think the only way is to deal with each one individually and remove the password on a windows pc then email it and open it on the Mac.

bremner 12:30 08 Dec 12

Pollpot

I have no problems with password protected Word documents in Pages. It simply asks for the password and opens.

What versions of each are you using?

pollpott 11:01 11 Dec 12

Hi Bremner, sorry for the delay in replying I am using word 2007 and word 2010. Some files are older and were written using the earlier version, some mre recent and use 2010. The main problem is that when I try to open one on the Mac, Moutain Lion version, it doesn't even ask for a password it just comes up with can't import, password protected. Any thoughts?

bremner 18:50 11 Dec 12

I do not know why I can and you can't but you could try downloading and installing OpenOffice (free) for the Mac and see if that opens the file.

pollpott 16:08 14 Dec 12

I tried that but it didn't work. I am thinking of buying word for mac but the reviews I have looked at are not that good.

Harina54 10:42 17 Dec 12

I know a password recovery tool called SmartKey Password Recovery. Maybe you can have a try. It seems from recoverlostpassword.com Or maybe you Google Search it. Good luck.

pollpott 18:06 17 Dec 12
Answer

Not being able to access the files became intolerable so I downloaded a trial copy of office for mac and that works fine so I guess thats the answer. Thanks for taking the time to post suggestions, cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…